Monday, April 20, 2015

The Candy Bar



Throughout my life, I have learned and been blessed by many things. But one of the greatest blessings I remember to this day came when I was just a young boy.

Despite having an abundance of love and testimony in the home, my family’s own temporal needs were another matter. To be clear, we had very little to get by on and at times were left with nothing more than just our faith in the Lord to make it through. But in every struggle there would always come a greater blessing, one which I was about to learn personally for myself.

The day came when I received an invitation to a close friend’s birthday party. As excited as I was, I remember going to the store with my mother to pick out a gift, one I was hoping would be the very best of all for my very best friend. But, to my regret, I was reminded once more that such a gift could not be afforded due to the very limited budget we were on.

Then, with a wise and always reassuring smile, my mother gently offered me a simple candy bar as a replacement gift for my friend.

As I looked at that substitute present, I couldn’t help but feel sad. I was sad that I wouldn’t have a decent gift to give my friend and felt even more embarrassed about what everyone else would say and think about me – as the kid who gave a candy bar instead of a toy. In fact, I began to favor not going to the party at all in an effort to save myself from what I believed would be a total and guaranteed humiliation.

On the day of the party, with a still nervous stomach and fearful heart, I placed the candy bar on the table next to the other gifts noticing once more the little red ribbon my mother had carefully helped me tie around it.

Shortly after, the time came when all the presents were to be opened. A feeling of dread came over me as I watched my friend finally pick up my meager gift.

But upon noticing it, and to my complete surprise, he smiled wide and expressed his appreciation and thrill for the candy bar I had given him. Words cannot describe the peace and joy I felt in my heart at that moment, both for my friend’s accepting gesture and for the lesson my mother had just then taught me about what it means to truly give.

Since that day, I have reflected on the experience many times and have felt the love of my Heavenly Father in every opportunity I have had to give and be of service to others. I have appreciated the gift of goodly parents who taught me that it can feel good to give, even when you feel that your offering seems inadequate and small. I have also learned that the Lord is mindful of our sacrifices and will bless us if we but serve Him and those around us cheerfully.

Most importantly, I have come to feel in all its fervor the power of the scripture: “Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:7).

As I study the words and life of the Savior, I am reminded of His tender mercies and of the many ways He gave throughout his ministry. I remember that God loves a cheerful giver, even when all that can be given is a candy bar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment